Summer is here, and it's time to switch up your summer hairstyles to something that's more suitable for the season. We all know how irritating it is to have hot, sweaty hair sticking to your face and neck during the summer months. But don't worry. We've got you covered with these easy summer hairstyles favorites- beachy waves, sleek ponytails, and messy buns!
In this blog post, we're going to guide you step by step, on how to achieve these summer hairstyles without breaking a sweat. Trust us, these styles are simple and easy to recreate, so you can spend more time enjoying the summer weather instead of fussing over your hair.
We take the guesswork out of finding the best products. Each product was individually selected by our editors. Some may have been sent as samples for us to try out for ourselves and some we combed through thousands of reviews to find, but all opinions in this article are our own.
P.S. LindsaysReviews may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to buy something at no extra cost to you (that's how we stay in business and keep bringing you the best finds to save you time).
Beach waves are easy summer hairstyles. They're effortless, carefree, and perfect for any occasion, whether it's a beach picnic, a date night, or a casual brunch with friends.
Here's how to get them:
- Start by applying a heat protectant spray to your hair.
- Then, section your hair, starting from the bottom layers and working your way up.
- Take a small section of hair, about an inch wide, and wrap it around a curling wand, leaving out about an inch of hair from the bottom. Hold it for a few seconds and release.
- Repeat this process all over your head until all your hair is curled.
- Once you're done curling, flip your hair over and brush it out gently with a paddle brush or your fingers. This will give you that effortless "beachy" look.
- Finally, spray some sea salt spray onto your hair, and scrunch it up with your fingers. This will give you that final touch of "beachy" texture.
If you have natural hair or curly hair, you might not even need a curling iron. Some curl activators are enough to give a perfect beachy wave to air dried curly hair!
Sleek ponytails are perfect summer hairstyles when you want to keep your hair completely away from your face and neck on hot summer days, or when you don't have a chance to wash your hair. This style is versatile enough to be worn to work, a night out, or even to the gym. Here's how to achieve a sleek, polished ponytail, which looks especially good on straight hair.
- Use a dry shampoo to minimize oily hair if you don't have time to wash. Otherwise, start with clean wet hair.
- Next, brush your hair back to create a high ponytail at the crown of your head.
- Secure the ponytail with a tie or rubberband.
- Take a small section of hair from the bottom of the ponytail and wrap it around the hair tie. Secure it with a bobby pin to hide the elastic.
- To make your ponytail look sleek and polished, use a small amount of hair gel or oil to smooth down any frizz or flyaways.
- Finally, use a hairspray to hold your hair in place and prevent any "ponytail bumps" from forming.
Half-Up Top Knots
Half-Up top knots are a playful and practical way to style your hair in the summer. They're perfect for those days when you want to keep your hair out of your face but still look put together.
Here's how to create a half-up top knot:
- Start with dry, brushed out hair. Divide your hair into two equal sections.
- Gather the top section of your hair, about two inches from your hairline, and twist it into a bun at the crown of your head.
- Secure with bobby pins, making sure to hide them as much as possible.
- Leave the bottom section of your hair down and comb it out to get rid of any tangles.
- You can choose to add some texture to the bottom of your hair by curling it or using a texturizing spray.
- Finish off by spraying your hair with a hairspray to keep the style in place throughout the day.
Bohemian Braid Updo
A Bohemian Braid Updo are beautiful summer hairstyles that combines the elements of a braided hairstyle and an updo. It's typically a loose and messy style that creates a romantic and carefree look, perfect for any boho-chic occasion.
-take a small section of hair from the front of your head and divide it into three equal parts.
-Start braiding by crossing the middle strand over the right strand, then crossing the left strand over the middle strand.
-Continue this pattern, picking up more hair from each side as you move towards the back of your head.
-When you get to the nape of your neck, tie off the braid with an elastic band.
-Next, create a low ponytail at the base of your neck using the remaining hair and secure it with a hair tie.
-Then, split the low ponytail in half and twist each section in opposite directions until they start to coil around each other.
-Twist the twisted sections around the base of the ponytail, using bobby pins to secure them in place.
-Finally, wrap the end of the braid around the bun and tuck it under to secure it with bobby pins.
-To add some volume and texture to the look, gently tug at different sections of the braid and the bun.
Messy buns are one of the ultimate easy summer hairstyles because they are effortless yet stylish. They're perfect for those days when you don't have the time for an elaborate hairstyle but still want to look good. Here's how to create a quick and easy messy bun:
- Start by gathering your hair into a high ponytail at the crown of your head.
- Twist your hair into a loose bun and secure with bobby pins.
- To achieve a messy look, gently tug on the hair at the top of your bun to loosen it up.
- Use your fingers to pull out a few strands of hair from the front to frame your face.
- Finish off by using hairspray to hold your bun in place.
If you have short or thin hair you can add one of these best selling messy buns hairpieces from Amazon.
Don't let the summer heat get in the way of your hair game. Follow our guide on how to achieve beachy waves, sleek ponytails, half-up top knots, and messy buns. The best thing about these hairstyles is that they are versatile, simple, and easy to recreate. We hope this post has given you some inspiration for your next summer hairdo.